Well, tis the season for these beauties...
So can I tell you something? I always thought strawberries were all fine & dandy, wading my way through your standard supermarket strawberry all my days. But I had no idea what I was missing until the first time I tried a strawberry nearly straight from the vine from the Collingswood Farmer's Market quite a few summers ago...
Gems, I tell ya! Absolute GEMS! There is absolutely NOTHING like FRESH berries. Those bland, flavorless supermarket varieties don't even hold a candle to these sweet, juicy beauties. And since it's the height of the season, I just HAVE to share with you one of my VERYFAVORITE sweet & savory recipes:
(and cheese grits + pepper & corn saute on the side to round out the meal if you'd likeJ)
I know, I KNOW...don't look at me like that! This dish is allllll the sweetness of the strawberries combined with salty toppings plus a kiss from the grill. AKA- a SUMMER 101 dish that your family & guests (this is SOOOO pretty enough for company!) will never expect. You're gonna LOVE it.
You just heat a cup of those beautiful strawberries in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of sherry vinegar (or sherry wine) and a dash of cardamom. Mash the berries, give everything a swirl to combine the ingredients and bring the liquid to a boil...
Once the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally...
You know it's done once the strawberries become thick and syrupy. You can strain the mixture, but I like to leave it as is and keep the little strawberry chunks hidden in the syrup...
While the strawberry sauce is cooking, you can toss the chicken on the grill with a little salt & pepper until cooked through. Meanwhile, mix the topping of gorgonzola cheese, a little thyme & some diced prosciutto (or crumbled bacon even!) Once the chicken is cooked, plate it on top of the strawberry sauce and cap it off with the gorgonzola/prosciutto/thyme mix.
Just divine! Get ready to be pleasantly surprised.
Strawberry Chicken with Gorgonzola
- 1 pound chicken, pounded flat
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar (or wine)
- Dash of cardamom
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 slices prosciutto, diced
- Combine strawberries, sugar & sherry in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for to until thickened (about 20 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- While the strawberry sauce is cooking, sprinkle the chicken with a little salt & pepper and cook on the grill (or stovetop) until cooked through.
- Combine cheese, thyme & diced prosciutto in a small bowl.
- Pour a little strawberry sauce on a plate and top with chicken and cover with cheese & prosciutto mix.
Connect with me:
As always...thanks for reading!